Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Race Report: LA Marathon - March 21, 2010

The  LA Marathon
Or as I like to think of it, a lovely 26.2 mile training run 
through some of the best parts of Los Angeles with 24,999 of my running buddies!


Someone once said that you race the race that you trained for and on this day, that actually came true. My goal for my first marathon was to finish between 4:20-4:30, with a smile and feeling good. I finished in 4:27:23, I actually have photo proof that I was smiling, and well, good is not quite the right word...but I did feel strong. My last 2 miles were my fastest and crossing that finish line was simply unexplainable. I also had a separate goal of raising over $3000 for the Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer and I can happily announce that goal was exceeded and money is still coming in!! Add all this to the facts that this course ROCKED, the entire city seemed to come out to either run or play with the runners, the weather was perfect, and the support and volunteers were nothing short of absolutely amazing, well...my first marathon was a success and I could not be happier that I chose to do it at home on the inaugural "Stadium to Sea" course. 

The success did not come easy, though. There were highs, there were lows, and a little of everything in between. And if that's all you needed to know, great! If you are intrigued to read more, please continue but make sure that you have about 20 minutes and a comfy chair because this report is about as long as the marathon itself. You have been warned.


So, let's start at the start, shall we?



Expo day:
Just some photos from lunch at Local in Silverlake with some of my favorite runners and athletes, followed by the LA Marathon Expo.
Liana (@FITTorrent), Me, Linda (@MsV1959), and Sheila (@SheSwimBikeRun)
at lunch at Local in Silverlake. PERFECT way to get FIRED UP!

Arrival at the Expo

Dodger Stadium...where it will all begin

Visiting Danica (@chicrunner) at her booth

Wonder if I can get a head start...


A "brief" pre-race note:
Oddly, I wasn't nervous about finishing this race within my goal because I knew I put in the training to do just that, provided nothing really bad happened.  Those last 4 words started to haunt me, though, because the entire pre-race week my right hip had started to be really mean to me. I spend 5 months training basically injury-free and now I couldn't even finish my run on Tuesday and barely could put pressure on that leg at all by the evening. Well, that's not a good thing 5 days before a marathon. I skipped my run on Wednesday and spent the next 3 days icing it, applying Bio-Freeze and Kwan Loong Oil, using Trigger Point rollers and ball, got a last-minute sports massage , a physical therapists opinion,  and talked Josh's (aka Speedy Sasquatch) ear off.  General consensus was that I was fine to run, it was probably a strain of some sort, and just continue to do what I was doing. I drastically reduced my Saturday pre-race run to an easy 20 minute jog because it still hurt and I really started to question whether I should even be running this thing. This is where being a triathlon coach and a newbie marathoner don't quite mix. I knew I could deal with the pain. I knew I'd cross that finish line no matter what it took. But I also knew that depending where this soreness was coming from, I could cause some serious damage. Well, the "athlete" and the "coach" talked it over and decided that since I was able to walk and run without a change in form and gait, I should at least toe the start line but I'd have to play it smart. I spent all day and night Saturday mentally preparing myself for the fact that I may have to forego my 4:30 goal and incorporate a lot of walking in order to finish, or, at worst, have to drop out completely. Anyone who has ever trained for an event knows that the latter is one of the hardest decisions to ever make and deal with and hence, why I was worried and concerned. Fortunately I had two great supporters to keep me calm on Saturday: my husband Dana (aka BigDnLA) who was the smart one and not running the marathon (but that's only because he's doing an Ironman this year). Without all of his love, optimism, support, and consistent faith in me through my training and race day, I could not even think about doing this marathon.
Dana and I at the LA 13.1 this past January, 
where I officially decided to sign up for the LA Marathon

Then our friend Ron (aka PunkRockRunner) traveled down Saturday with his son, Nick, and stayed with us, so he could run his 19th (!!!)  marathon here.  His advice, humor and sense of calm, kept my type-A, obsessive-complusive control-freak personality in somewhat in check on Saturday, which is no easy task.
Who knew you would need so much for nice little run?

My shirt with my bib and the names of all those that I am running in memory of.

The wake-up call:
My 4AM alarm quickly became the 4AM snooze button. Twice. I actually slept soundly once I finally went to bed and wasn't in any hurry to get out of it.  I got up before hitting the snooze alarm a 3rd time, was thankful I was walking with only slight hint of soreness, drank my coffee, made my breakfast shake, and suddenly at 4:50A we were headed to the car, only 5 minutes past our goal leave time of 4:45.  That is nothing short of a miracle for me, since I am probably the only type-A, obsessive compulsive control freak who is also consistently late for everything I do.
The arrival at Dodger Stadium:
It took about 12 minutes to get to Dodger Stadium from Culver City so when we arrived I was cursing myself slightly for leaving so early and missing a little extra sleep. (remember that) After about 4 security guards pointed us in 4 different directions, we landed in "The Drop-Off Zone" which internally made me giggle. Its like the title of a bad horror flick and in some ways that was very fitting. 
The Drop-Off Zone

We followed all the other half-asleep runners into Dodger Stadium, which I have to say is probably one of the coolest places ever to start a marathon. We walked right onto the field where hundreds of runners were stretching, running, walking, taking pictures, playing on their phones, drinking, eating, staring into space, adjusting their race belts, contemplating what the hell they were doing there, and everything else one does before a marathon. I was just in awe at the array of people...every age, every race and ethnicity, every height and weight, every ability, and of course, every sex. It also seemed like every charity and running group was represented as well. What an amazing sight.
The first of many photos with my arms in the air.
 It will become quickly become evident that for some reason this is my signature pose for this race. 

The Suite:
So as I mentioned before, I joined up with the Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Training Team and found out a few days before the race that since they were one of the official charities of the LA Marathon, they had a suite in the stadium for their team. Since Ron and I were carpooling together to the race and planning to pace each other, the foundation very, very kindly gave him a wristband as well to get into the suites.  Jealous? Well, next year, join the Hirshberg team with me and...oh crap, did I just say next year?? 
This is how we roll before the marathon

I think I would have donated the entire minimum donation amount myself if I had to just to ensure that I had access to those bathrooms. If you are from the Hirshberg Foundation or from the LA Marathon team that hooked this up .... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.  I think I used it about 27 times. I didn't have to go that much, but I liked just being able to go in there.


Shortly after we got there we met Hilary. She came all the way from South Carolina for her first marathon. Her father traveled with her and the reason she chose this event and this organization was because her mother passed away from pancreatic cancer in 2008, only 11 weeks after diagnosis. Add to that, her husband is currently in Afghanistan, on his 4th tour of duty. Wow. What an inspiration she was to us that morning. She could not have been happier to be there and I could not have been more in awe. Thank you, Hilary, for sharing your enthusiasm and your story. You and the battles that your family fought with this cancer and the ones they are now fighting overseas were some of most incredible motivations I could have on this day.
Hilary and I at the Hirshberg Celebration Dinner

Shortly after we got to the suite, Dana texted me to say that the traffic on the freeway headed to the stadium was hideous and we picked the perfect time to leave the house. 5 more minutes and we may have been stuck for hours like many were. Now that I was in this suite, drinking my Gleukos, eating a banana, posting twitter updates, watching the scene on the field, including Gordon Ramsey signing autographs, and the ginormous flourescent green team of SRLA (Students Run LA) getting fired up in the stands, I wasn't so upset about how early we left and very thankful for the last minute email Saturday from the LA Marathon that encouraged a 2 hour early arrival.


Hilary came back from the bathroom and told us that Gordon Ramsey was upstairs going into the different charity suites and meeting people. So of course, Ron, Hilary and I did what anyone would naturally do...stalk the hallways until we found him. I guess it was obvious because his handler spotted us and said he was in the bathroom and would be out in a minute. When he was, we attacked...er, approached him, told him what big fans we were and would he take a picture with us? Yep!
He asked me if this was my first marathon (wonder what is was about me that made it obvious). I said yes and I swear, he was suddenly more excited than I was, telling me to make sure to enjoy every moment and how thrilled he was that I was running this marathon. The nicest man, damn hardbody too, and never once used the f-word. Afterwards, I literally JUMPED AROUND the suite I was so excited. I should have just changed my name on my bib right then and there to "DORK".
Suddenly it was 6:40 and time to head downstairs. We said bye to Hilary and the others, made one last beautiful bathroom stop and took a few final photos...
He is SO gonna get chicked

Can I just ride this to the finish?
Going to the start:
As we got in the elevator, 2 other runners joined us. But not just any runners, these were elites. I don't know which ones, but you just "know" they are elites. They hit "1" on the panel which seemed right to us. When the elevator doors opened, they literally bolted out to the field. Ron and I walked. Maybe that's why security immediatley stopped us and told us we were on the wrong floor and had to go to "2". I'm sure it had nothing to do with how we looked. As we got off the elevator on the correct level, we almost ran back upstairs to use the bathroom one more time just because we could. The lines for the public bathrooms were endless. So, my final plug...join the Hirshberg team or any of the other official charities of the LA Marathon next year, raise money for a great cause and get access to clean, line-less bathrooms (provided everything stays the same next year of course....hopefully...hint hint, hint...)
Join a charity team and you too can get the star treatment


Then you didn't so much as walk to the corrals as simply be moved along like a school of fish. The corrals resembled mosh-pits, complete with people hopping fences and everyone trying to get closer to the front, which kinda cracked me up. As if we aren't all going to eventually cross the start line anyway.

On a side note...I have to admit, I had no idea what "corral" meant in terms of a marathon. I assumed there were literally fenced in corrals set up in the parking lots with people checking off what you put down as your estimated finish time was to ensure you were in the right one. Then, one by one, once the race started they would open up the gates to the corrals and let the runners out. Like cattle. So when we were actually standing in the corral waiting to start, I was confused...where are the corrals? Why are we in the start line already? Oh, this is the corral? oh, ok. Now I'll change that "Dork" sign on my bib to "Idiot". Of course, I still felt like I was in a herd of cattle so I did at least understand why it was called a corral.
Making our way through the "corral"
Waiting for the start:
I had tried to do some of my dynamic warm-ups on the way to the corral without embarrassing Ron too much or tripping anyone, neither of which I was successful at, so once we settled into our spot, I moved over to the fence to try a few toe/calf walks, leg swings, high knees, etc. It was somewhat successful but eventually pointless because the start was now delayed about 25 minutes due to "incidents" on the freeway. Huh? Apparently marathon runners were stuck in traffic on the freeway and just getting out of their cars to run to the start so they didn't miss the race. Even the organized shuttle busses that left Santa Monica at 5:15A only arrived at the Stadium at 7 (its about 20 miles away...you do the math).  I have to admit, though, I laughed out loud for awhile hearing that...it just wouldn't be a large event in Los Angeles without traffic delays and freeway incidents. Though I'm sure those runners didn't find it so funny.
Just hanging out at the start


While waiting we talked with a guy standing near us who looked like he runs a marathon every day. He said after the race, he was running the course in reverse and continuing UP Mt. Wilson as part of his training. So, in my best, "Even though I think you're crazy I'll try to sound like I think its perfectly reasonable" voice I asked which ultra he was training for. He said he was training for a run he was doing from Los Angeles to Washington DC in June. Ok. Cool. Have fun with that.
(sidenote: I have since found out, via Bob's comment on Ron's blog, that he is John Radich, a famous Ultra-Runner. Clearly I need to study up on my ultra-runner knowledge. )
Getting Punchy (and apparently that's John Radich on the far right)

Oh...the helicopters. There were quite a few hovering, really making you feel like you were someplace special. It felt like we were about to start the Tour de France.
Finally the National Anthem (yes, I teared up as I do with EVERY national anthem I have ever listened to) and the race start. Its a little different than a tri...the gun (or horn? bell? I don't even remember) goes off and then you...walk. Well, if you are at the front of the 25,000 people, you run. If you are by the 10:00 pace sign like us, you walk.  It took about 3 1/2 minutes to get to the start line which is actually good since I needed to warm up again. And once we saw all the thousands of runners still trying to start the race as we completed our circle around Dodger Stadium, I realized we were pretty lucky. Then when I heard that they were playing Randy Newman's "I Love LA" over and over again, until everyone crossed the start line, I was even more thankful to be on the course already. 



In past years, the LA Marathon was a loop course that circled downtown and Hollywood. Not exactly a scenic or pleasant route. This year, the marathon has a new owner, Frank McCourt, who also owns the LA Dodgers. The city was thrilled because he has also revamped the race so that it truly showcases our city with an beautiful point-to-point route boasting a “Landmark every Mile”. Its called the “Stadium to Sea” course since we literally run from Dodger Stadium downtown to the Santa Monica Pier, through the “good” parts of downtown, then through Silverlake, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Century City and Santa Monica.

The beginning (miles 1-6)
The first mile circled Dodger Stadium and who knew the parking lots were so hilly? Not me. Fortunately our attention was diverted by the line of hundreds of men standing along the wall of bushes relieving themselves. Then a woman, who had crawled up the wall to a planter and used it as a toilet, pulled her pants up and ran back down to the race, which ignited one of the loudest crowd hollers I heard all day. It was one of the many times I said to myself "Only in LA".
Exiting Dodger Stadium

Downtown LA is not the most scenic city in the world but it seemed like every corner there was something new and cool to see. I don't remember most of those things right now, but I do remember saying to Ron, "Oh, that's neat, I've never seen that before. But that's probably because I've never been to this part of LA". Such is the type of conversation that Ron had to endure. I don't own a Garmin right now and didn't train with one so I often just judge my pace based on how well I am talking. So I did a lot of talking. Thankfully we saw a lot of people from LA Tri Club and Twitter so we had many people to talk to, including DanicaBilly and Kristen. I have to say, seeing people you know in the middle of a 25,000 person marathon makes you feel pretty darn cool.

One of my favorite parts of the race is whenever there was an incline or decline so that you could see the masses of runners ahead of you. I tried to take a photo of it.

And then I tried again:

Then I decided that taking photos was going to be a lost cause and just hoped that other runners I knew would be taking good ones. Fortunatley they did, and so if you get really bored at any given point here due to the lack of photos, just scroll down to the end of this post (yes, it does end...eventually) for links to their posts. You can also check out this awesome photo-log of the marathon taken by Toky Photography:  The Spirit of the Marathon by Toky Photogrpahy


Other cool stuff we passed were the Taiko drummers, the Olivera dancers, the people in yellow TShirts singing, actually EVERYONE that was out playing instruments, singing, dancing, or DJ'ing...the musical energy was endless.


The Gates to Chinatown, the big building with the address number built into it, views of the Hollywood sign and the Observatory, the cool runners mural, Disney Hall, and some tall sign that had names of places and the mileage to them....man, maybe I really should have taken photos. My memory sucks on the specifics but I do remember the general...which is that it was awesome.


It was also very clear in the beginning that we would never be alone on this course. The city was out in full force to cheer, scream, ring cowbells, hold signs, wear costumes, take photos, or simply just to stare at all these crazy people. There was one guy that had some sort of loud device that I'm sure was supposed to make a noise that fires you up but to me it sounded like like a machine gun. Talk about an  adreneline rush.


When we reached Echo Park at mile 5, I smiled and suddenly knew that this was all going to be ok. I was very fortunate during my training to be able to 2 training runs with LA Triathlon Club that were organized by Catherine and Jeff/IAmAthlete along the LA Marathon course. One started just outside Dodger Stadium at Sunset Elysian Park (mile 1.6) and went all the way to Mile 19, the other started at Echo Park (Mile 5) and went to the finish at the Pier. So, other than the first loop around Dodger Stadium, I had run the entire course at least once, most of it twice. As any racer of any event will tell you, this is so key to a successful race. I knew what to expect of the course, and what to anticipate with my body. Although I will say, it did feel a LOT hillier during the marathon than it did during the training runs.
LA Tri Club 21 mile Training Run 
Mile 5 of the course to the Pier Finish

So, once we reached that mile 5 point, I just told myself this was just like that training day. No different. A few more people. A little noisier. The roads were closed. But really, just run your own race, the race you planned.


Easier said than done.


I kept getting excited and this mile marker was no different so for about the 27th time Ron had to tell me to slow down, I was in the 9-something pace zone. (I told him to tell me whenever we went below 10, and ideally we needed to be at 10:30 for the first 5-ish. Apologies and thank yous, Ron). First time marathoners will hear it over an over again: don't go out too hard, remember to keep the pace slower than slow at the beginning, save yourself, etc etc etc. I knew it. And I really thought I was. But wow, I guess the crowds, the excitement, and the fact that you do feel really good make you creep that pace up without even realizing it. I know I would have checked myself at each mile marker if I didn't have Ron's Onstar-Garmin services, but that would not have been enough. So, yes, for the next marathon, I will get a pace watch. Wait, why do I keep referencing the NEXT marathon....yeesh...


At this point, anything that had given me issue in training (right hip and right toes specifically) were in good shape. My chafing thighs, however, were not. It was somewhere during this time I realized that I forgot to put on BodyGlide. Well, I didn't so much realize it as my chafing thighs told me I did. Soon after we passed a medics handing out toungue depressers. Too bad I asked Ron what that was for AFTER we passed them since they were handing out vaseline on those things for people just like me. Oh well, I'll catch the next medical station...which was many miles later. There were people with little tubs of vaseline that I contemplated breifly about putting my hand in to get some then thought better of that idea. Especially given where I needed to rub that vaseline. On a sidenote...once I did finally put on vaseline, I could not cleanly get it off my hands, which meant it got all over my water bottle tops when I opened them. It was drinking water from...well, a tub of vaseline. Ugh.


Miles 6-10
So by now we have passed about 79 aid stations. Ok, not that many, but honestly, I couldn't keep track of what was an official aid station and what was being set up by local businesses and neighbors because there was so much. Water, Powerade, candy, oranges, banana, cookies, mini-cartons of soymilk (which I couldn't quite understand why that would be a good idea for anyone running), and who knows what else. I actually ignored most of it because I didn't want to be tempted. I had a very specific nutrition plan for this race and wanted to stick to it. (Nutrition for the day listed at end of the post.) But it truly made me smile to think that people actually went to the store or prepared food and drink for people they didn't know doing something they probably thought was completely insane. The human spirit at its best. 

Other than the amazing continuation of crowd support, music and entertainment, I don't remember much about this section. My legs were getting sore already. I wasn't exactly sure how to proceed with my pace because of that. But at the same time, I couldn't believe were about to hit 10 miles. It suddenly was all going too fast. I needed to look around and enjoy more. Take in the sights, look up, and remember every moment. Uh, sure. Whatever. I'll come back next week and take photos. Where's that mile 10 banner?


Miles 10-20:
Turning the corner just past Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood

I decided that Ron should not have to endure any more of my constant pace questions, random thoughts, and my not-so-Scent-of-a-Woman, so I was going it alone here, but I missed him. Making fun of things in your own head is not nearly as fun as doing it with someone else. :-) People continued to pass me left and right, literally, but I really didn't care. I was running my own race. I started really looking around at all the runners...and thought about how every single one had a different reason for being here, everyone sacrificed something different in their life to train and race, everyone was probably thinking and feeling something different at this moment, but despite those differences, right now, we were all the same. Beautiful marathon runners. I suddenly wanted to talk to all them and ask them their stories. I wanted to encourage all of them.  But I knew that wasn't really feasible, so I just tried to cheer anyone who seemed to really need it and in my head I thanked them all for being here, for pushing me, for inspiring me. I remembered my own story, my reasons, my own hard training, and focused on my race. I talked to myself, encouraged myself, cheered myself (also in my head...or at least I hope I did) because dammit, I deserved to have a great race today. All of us deserved a great race today.
Cruising down Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills

So these were the infamous miles of the Hollywood theater and musical landmarks, the walk of fame, West Hollywood and the drag queens, Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive, West LA and Route 66. I high-fived Batman, saw a woman wearing an a-sexual fatsuit, read so many funny signs (I particularly liked the one that said something like "I'm drunk. Have a great race."), and tried to keep up with 2 guys wearing sombreos and colorful blanket (really??).  I pondered at all the evangelical speakers out there (my favorite group is the one that was downtown on a bridge with signs basically telling us we need to save ourselves before we go to hell. I remember thinking that marathon runners were the last people they should be marketing themselves to, then around mile 18 I realized by "hell" they meant the marathon itself.) These were the sights and sounds that made this course special and that make LA special. Even though I had driven past them all hundreds of times, even though I did training runs though each of these parts, there is nothing like seeing it through the eyes of a marathon. Today, those eyes were wearing rose colored glasses.


Am I getting a little too sappy and sentimental? Maybe that's because I actually felt that about midway through this section. I remember seeing the Mile 15 marker and thinking"Holy Crap, Mile 15 already?? This thing is almost over? I'm not ready for it to be over, I'm having too much fun! I want to remember everything!". Yes, feel free to laugh out loud here because I know that this is a reaction that only a newbie marathoner can have at mile 15.


A quick back-up...at the halfway point I checked in with my watch and calculated I was still on schedule for a 4:30 as long as I did continue to pick up the pace and finish strong at the end. Like all my training runs. But I knew full well by now that training runs are nothing like the real thing. So I picked up the pace a little and hoped for the best.


Random thought...wow, people fart a lot during a marathon.


So it was during this section of the race is also where I saw some much needed and appreciated local love. Cindy had a sign up with her Twitter name so I spotted her easily and she ran with me for a bit which was great - thanks for the support, Cindy!


Cheer Alley cracked me up because I kept thinking of "Bring It on" and wondered if there was a cheerocracy happening out there. Most of the squads seemed to be cheering together, and but there were a few rogue squads were doing their own thing. No matter what, though, it was very cool.


A while later I saw this sign:
Some much-needed love in Century City


I didn't recognize the person holding it but the other person was also holding a sign that said Danica's name on it and so I quickly assumed this must be Andrea (@andreanalyne) and ran over screaming "Hi!!! I'm Nina!!! Thank you!!!"Honestly, the things we are propelled to do and say while running a marathon...hope I didn't freak ya'll out, Andrea, and thank you so much for that support - I loved it!


Around mile 18 I saw my name on another sign and I thought, hmmm, wonder if that is for me. I looked up, saw it was my good friends Sheridan and Simon. I nearly caused a full blown domino effect catastrophe as I bolted across the road to give them a hug. I had no idea they were going to be out so seeing them was like injecting liquid rocket fuel. I was on fire now!


But so was my knee.


Just around miles 18 or 19, I think, whatever was probably bugging my hip this past week, traveled to my knee. Sharply. That didn't surprise me. Knee pain is often the result of something in the hip flexor area. Not to mention having half of your kneecap removed at age 16 from a stupid mogul skiing accident...but I digress. I temporarily thought of quitting, justifying that something could be really wrong.  That lasted about 20 seconds. Instead I decided to go to my plan B of incorporating more walking. I did a modified 10/1 run/walk plan. Modified because I didn't really stick to that exactly. Sometimes I walked after 5 minutes. Sometimes after 15. Sometimes I only walked :30. The important thing was I was walking which I think is key to what got me to the finish. Next time, I'm going to fully train with a run/walk plan. Ack..there's that damn "next" again.


So here's where I stumbled into the the support station that wins "Best Intention but Worst Idea Ever". The Salon Pas Pain Spray Stop. As I approached, and figured out exactly what it was (people spraying Salon Pas Pain Relieving Spray on the runners legs) I thought that sounded awesome for my knee, so I ran over. I stood there for about 5 seconds waiting for spray before I started choking. When about 50 people are spraying this medicated stuff in a very small area its somewhat akin to walking into a toxic waste plant without a gas mask.  Uh, no thank you. I ran away to the other side of the road, spit about 6 times, and decided I was about to learn exactly what it meant to run in pain. (If you are with Salon Pas and reading this, may I suggest a topical next time?, or just slapping patches on? I truly appreciate your efforts, support and sponsorship of this event, but it was unfortunatley noxious for the runners and volunteers).


I had to find another way to tackle the knee pain, and general soreness that had long since made itself quite at home in my legs. So I started thinking about all the names on my back. They and their families and freinds had battles far more challenging and painful that I would ever have in a marathon. I was so lucky to be out here, so lucky to be able to decide to do a marathon, to be able to train, to be able to show up on race day and spend the next several hours running through this fabulous city. I had to remember those couldn't and that was why I was here. I drew from each of them, many of who I never met. I drew from their friends and families who made generous donations and shared their stories with me. I also thought about my husband, Dana, who is a leukemia survivor and as I wrote earlier, my lifeline in all my athletic endeavors; my mom, a breast cancer survivor, and my dad, who both have always supported me with incredible love and enthusiasm in everything I decide to do...
Mom, Dad, my brother Garry and I last Christmas


...my best friend, Jenny, who I have known forever, who lost her mother to Pancreatic Cancer about 3 years ago, and is training for her 1st marathon, The Pittsburgh Marathon...
Jenny and I at a 5k in Pittsburgh last October


...all my friends and family rooting for me throughout the country; my runner, triathlete, and cyclist friends on DailyMile and Twitter who encouraged and motivated me through training; and of course, the entire city of Los Angeles, who was cheering all of us like were the Lakers or the Trojans at a championship game. How could I NOT run...run faster...run harder...run stronger?


Yeah, I didn't have answer for that either.

Mile 20:
I didn't hit a wall. I didn't hate the hills. Please don't hit or hate me.

Entering the VA...what IS it with me and the arms in the air today?

I did, however, get passed by the 4:30 pace group. Whoaaaaa....uh-uh. I have not come this far to not make my goal.  (If you were a part of the Clif Bar 4:30 pace group, I would love to hear your thoughts on that group.) I had to stop to get a rock out of my shoe (how does THAT happen?) and gave myself a virtual pat on the back for my quick shoe on-and-off skills from my triathlon transition training.  I decided rather than sprint to catch the group, though,  I would stay my pace and keep them in my sights, never more than about 200-300m ahead of me. Having this focus point worked well. The VA support team through the campus was great. But the icing on the cake was going to be Mile 21. Unlike 99% of the runners, I knew what was coming. Or I thought I knew.


Mile 21:
If you ran the marathon, you saw the Purple People Cheering Squad on Mile 21 as you exited the VA onto Santa Monica.
Turning the corner onto San Vicente in Santa Monica


This was my team! This was the official cheering station of Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Training Team. They told us they would have 300-400 people there but oh my word, you have no idea what an impact that will have on you at mile 21 until you experience it. You would have thought I just won the freaking lottery -  ran along every single person, high fived them, screamed, yelled,  and jumped up and down. Thank you purple people!!! Click here for more photos of this awesome station and team!


Miles 21-23:
Remember when I said I didn't mind the hills in the VA. Don't worry, they got their revenge. That long slow hill of San Vicente until 26th street that was 2 miles long felt like 10. Funny, I really had it in my head that once I got to SV, it was all downhill. So did the dozens of people cheering and telling us that, apparently, bless their enthusiastic and mis-informed little hearts.


Up until this point I had not taken advantage of the firemen and their hoses (HEY get your mind out of the gutter!). I wasn't hot (temperature wise, and certainly not in my looks at this point) but I ran through a couple of water sprays anyway just for kicks.


I suddenly remembered that I never responded to my good friend Meredith's email asking what I would be wearing. She lives at mile 22 and was going to be out cheering. Thankfully she called Dana, got the outfit description and spotted me. Oh, Meredith, I can never thank you enough for your hug, cheers, and running along side me for about a 1/2 mile. Your support, smile, and, let's face it, the distraction from everything else I was feeling at the point, was awesome.


Throughout the race, it seemed that there were a lot of spectators taking photos and video of me. Now, I know, it wasn't me, it was of the general race, or maybe the person behind me was famous. But I did have a random thought that if someone created a website where you could upload any random photos of racers that you may have taken and racers could search them easily well, that could be kinda cool. Oh the crap you think of to take your mind off the pain.


Pain. By now, for me, it was my right knee. I tried to run on the grass median but it was too tough with all the people cheering. I thought again about stopping, but then I walked a little and it felt better. And really, quitting now? I don't think so. And then that damn 4:30 pace group passed me again. I don't remember when I passed them but no way was I missing my goal now. I had been calculating my splits every mile the entire race and I was dead on for 4:30 without a minute to spare. So once again, I picked it up and kept them in my sights. And with a lifted pace came a lifted spirit. I was really here, really doing this, and really proud of myself.
I decided to run close to the side of the road so that everyone cheering could easily read my name on my bib. I high-fived everyone who would put their hand out. I especially loved the little kids who had absolutely no idea what was happening. With everyone who shouted any words of encouragement with my name attached, I felt stronger. It was incredible. Actually, it didn't matter if my name was said or not. I suddenly felt like I had Superman's ears, picking out every "Thank you for running!", "You're amazing!", "Runners are our heroes!", "We're so proud of you!"and using them to fill up my gas tank for one last turbo engine blast. I wasn't sure why someone would thank me, or think I was a hero for wanting to inflict this kind of pain willingly on myself, but I took it. It was free energy and better than any food or drink I could ever ingest.


The intersection of 26th Street and San Vicente is somewhat infamous in the Westside cycling and run world. Its a common meeting or turnaround spot for runners and cyclists...in fact, San Vicente in general is running and cycling central for this part of town. But I was looking for 26th in particular because that's where the course goes downhill and there's only about 5k left. Only. Never has a word seemed so shallow.


Mile 23-25:
Thankfully my knee had gone numb by now and I just didn't care anymore either. I deserved this race and after all, the faster I ran, the faster it would be over. The downhill grade, the ocean mist and cooler air, and my now near-psycotic pursuit of a sub 4:30 allowed me to pick up my pace enough to pass the 4:30 pace group and never look back. For the umpteenth time that day, I said outloud to myself, "Kick this course in the ASS, girl. Let's GO!". Why I chose those phrases, I have no idea. They are not original. Its just what would come out when I needed to push myself. I gotta come up with something a little more creative. But now, they worked. Up ahead, through the mist was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen...the mile 25 banner and the turn onto Ocean Avenue. I had this, this course was MINE!


Mile 25-26:
Prior to the race I told people that I felt like the turn onto Ocean would be like my own personal Ali'i Drive at the Kona World Championship. And those first 200m felt just like that. The noise as you rounded that corner was overwhelming. I seriously felt like a superhero. According to a very cool little chart that GregKnottLeMond put together for me, I was actually running pretty well too.




I still kept to the right side for that extra name-calling support, though. Its addictive. Anyone who tells you running isn't selfish is wrong. Race day is all about the athlete, and quite frankly, that rocks. We train hard, and race day is our reward. I was soaking up every second of it. Every "Go Nina!" "Looking strong, Nina!" "Hey, Nina! Over here, Nina!"


Huh?


I looked to my left and there he was...Dana. And yes, I am tearing up as I type and remember his smile and cheers. This was really happening. So again, I did the Frogger-Style road cross because even though I was still terrified of missing my 4:30, I was NOT going to miss getting a hug and kiss from my husband before I finished my first marathon, as you can see from this photo-sequence (not sure which once I am? Never fear, I eventually put those damn arms in the air again. I bet I could have finished a few minutes faster if I didn't feel the need to emulate Rocky everytime I saw a camera).




Now it was onto the final stretch. Finally.



Mile 26-26.2:
I don't think I ever took my eyes off that finish line sign. Or the clock. I truly ran like I was being chased. But in my peripherals I saw the sponsor barricades holding thousands of people back. Running through the finish shoot is truly indescribable. As I crossed the finish line, I put my hands up in the air and think I may have even shouted something dorky like "I did it!" because guess what? I did - 4:27:23.
Crossing the finish at 26.2

The Finisher's Area:
Or as I like to call it, the Day of the Living Dead. I remember watching the finish of the New York Marathon when we lived in New York, and thinking that all of those people looked sickly and miserable. Why in the world would I do something like that to myself? Well, here I was, amongst those people, and while I was so proud and excited, I also saw that the scene I remembered was the same here. Runners sprawled on the ground everywhere, runners moving around in a slow, zombie-like state, runners just standing or leaning on something, staring into space.


I got my medal, had 3 different photographers take my photo, and coveted my hard-earned foil blanket (those things work!).


Then I laughed out loud as I saw the signs pointing to finisher's pictures area...really? We could all not look more disheveled and disgusting, but hey, why not. So I headed over there for another photo.


As I tried to bend over to set my stuff down I got my first taste of just how much pain I was about to be in for the next few days. As I continued walking down the street - 2 blocks to the get to the family area? really? 2 blocks suddenly felt like 2 miles - I collected water, fruit cups, some bags of something, until my hands were full. Then put myself through the ordeal of setting everything down on the ground again as I got this victory shot:


I made from the the Stadium to the Sea!


I never did walk down to the party on the beach. I barely even found Dana, due to a major ATT iPhone FAIL -  I couldn't call, email, text, or twitter anyone.  In hindsight we should have just gone down to the family area but the thought of going DOWN to the beach then back UP to the street was not an option at the time. Plus Dana was no where near the beach, the crowds were hard to get through, and I needed a real bathroom. Somehow we finally connected on Colorado and Dana led me straight to the Holiday Inn near the finish, where we had helped our friend Johan and his family from South Africa find a hotel for their 3 day vacation in Santa Monica after he raced at the Kona World Championships. Well, thanks to visiting them during thier stay here, we knew the layout of the lobby, made a beeline for the bathroom, cleaned up with ActionWipes, and changed clothes, including lifesaving compression socks. There was a little couch outside the bathroom where I plopped down and delved into the cooler Dana brought, filled with Coconut Water, Chocolate Milk, Ice Packs, BioFreeze, and beer. I wonder if you can cryogenically freeze yourself from using too much BioFreeze?
Best post-race support EVER

Ron's son was with us and getting updates from Ron, who was about 30 minutes from the finish. Given the insanity of the crowds at the finish, and the fact that my legs had finally stopped working, I stayed in the lobby while Nick went to greet Ron and bring him back to our little oasis in the back corner hallway of the Holiday Inn. Ironically it was just outside the entrance to the fitness center filled with treadmills. Ha.


I was so happy to see Ron. I thought about him and the battle he was fighting out on the course throughout the race. Without his pacing and humor for those first 10 miles, my last 16.2 would have been very different, and not in a good way.


How we wanted to feel

How we really felt


Well, that's it. I'm not sure which is more of a marathon...Sunday's race, or this race report. Oh well, it's my first marathon. And my first race report for that matter.  I just want to finally say just how proud I am of everyone on that course - the runners, the supporters, the sponsors, the organizers, the police, the volunteers, the elites...everyone. It was a honor to run my first marathon with each of you.


Funny, I kept trying to type "only" marathon instead of "first" but my computer kept deleting it. Hmmm....





Thanks for reading and all the best to you and your health,
Nina


MY NUTRITION FOR THE DAY


4:30A: 1 cup coffee with skim milk
5A: Breakfast shake made with water, whey isolate protien powers, banana, natural peanut butter
6A: Banana
Between 5:30A-7A: 1 /12 servings of Gleukos sports drink
Throughout race:
~2 packets of Gleukos sports drink
~Water - LOTS
~Salt pill at 1:00, 1:45, 2:15, 2:45, 3:15, 3:45, 4:15
~Energy paste - 1 tbsp at 2:00, 1/2 tbsp at 3:00, 1/2 tsbp at 3:30
(Energy paste is toasted cornmeal, Almond peanut butter, Chia seeds, honey, dried cranberry, dry oatmeal, and cinnamon mixed and rolled into tbsp size balls, put into a mini ziplock in my pouch)
~Also about 4 orange slices between miles 10-25
Immediately post Race: 2 Fruit cups, water, Coconut Water
Please note that I trained with this kind of nutrition. I never have GI Distress, my energy remains consistent, and I never feel hungry. For more information on Metabollic Efficiency Training, please check out:  Fuel4Mance   Bob Seebohar


COOL LOOK AT MY "STATS"
 Nina's Race Stats

GREAT PHOTO BLOG OF THE LA MARATHON:
The Spirit of the Marathon by Toky Photography


COOL TIMELAPSE VIDEOS OF THE LA MARATHON:
Cody Westheimer Video     Silverlake Video


OFFICIAL LA MARATHON VIDEOS:
LA Marathon Course    LA Marathon Course Animation     Don't forget to look Up


OTHER RUNNER'S RACE REPORTS AND VIDEOS VERY WORTH READING AND WATCHING:
PunkRockRunner's Race Report (with photos)
ChicRunner's LA Marathon Race Recap (with photos and videos)
MsV's Open letter the LA Marathon (have your kleenex handy)
MsV's Gymnotes - Part 1 and 2 Race report (with photos)
LARunr LA Marathon Report (with photos and videos)
The Running Fat Guy (race report and video)
Run With Perserverance (race report and videos)
Cat's Calls (report and photos)
Run Bob Run (report and video)


AND ONE MORE TO END ON A HUMOROUS NOTE...
The Day After the Marathon


If you have a blog race report or link that you would like me to add here...please email me! Thanks!













17 comments:

  1. A) Congrats on your first marathon!!! (you beat my first time by like 30 mins)

    B) The Hirshberg Purple People ROCKED! Next to Cheer Alley, it was my favorite part of the course! Major, major props to you guys. And yes - massively jealous of that cush suite. Wow.

    Way to crush your 1st marathon. Loved that your last 2 miles were your fastest. Sounds like you and Ron had a great time.

    Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina,

    Great race report! Congrats on your first marathon...you rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, nice report!! Congrats on the 4:27!!!

    I just posted my report here:

    http://runwithperseverance.blogspot.com/2010/03/race-report-los-angeles-marathon-2010.html

    with videos...feel free to link if you wish!

    Land of the zombie in the finishers area...yes indeed. I DID walk down to get my gear...oh my!!

    Hope you are rapidly recovering!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job nina (and EPIC report!) I loved hearing about your first marathon experience, brings back mine and your enthusiasm is infectious. Great job and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great great great race report. All I can say is thank you so much for letting me be a part of this day. Both you and Dana are amazing people and I look forward to seeing you both again.

    You did EVERYTHING right and I am so very proud of you. I only with I could have run all 26.2 miles with you.

    Congratulations.

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Nina!! What an incredible write up - no wonder it took you so long to post. I choked up many times as I read through it as I was so proud of you. You're an inspiration on so many levels - and you have to love Dana, what awesome support!! Love to both of you. Snif Snif.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome race report! You said everything I wanted to say and now I don't have to type it out! lol It was my first too. Runpix.com is so neat! Thanks for the heads up. Really gives a good visual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your marathon and marathon race report! Haha! it was a most fantastic read and I enjoyed every single part. It truely took me back to when I ran my first one about 5 years ago. But then again, you can never forget your first one!

    Awesome! I really hope this is a first, and not an only! Just sayin' Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, I didn't think anyone would actually get all the way through this! Everyone earns a recovery day for reading :-) Thanks for your support and thoughts - I truly appreciate each one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMAZING WOMAN! I am crying, and I don't know if it's from laughing so hard that the "athlete" and "coach" had a chat amongst themselves, or that you did seem to like the arms raised pose for pics, of your random observation that people fart a lot during a marathon.

    Or, I could be crying tears of joy that you ROCKED your first marathon and had crazy, awesome support from Dana, Ron, and all of your friends along the route. That you run for a cause and really pay respect to those you run for is truly inspiring.

    You have such a tremendous heart. I look forward to your "next" marathon race report. There's that "next" again.

    Thanks so much for sharing your experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nina - I'm so glad that I waited until I had the time to do this report justice. What an outstanding report. And what an outstanding race!!!!

    I am so happy to hear that the race went well for you. Being your first marathon - that's pretty important. Also - you need to know that that *was not* an easy course. You need to go attack something easy like San Diego or Long Beach now!

    You rock! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was funny when you saw your sign...I told my friend "hey hold this one for Nina, I think she'll be coming by soon" and literally a split second after I handed it to her you were there, haha!

    But great report Nina! It was so fun seeing you out there dominating your first marathon! I can only hope my first goes as well :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. By the way - those wern't corrals at all. In San Diego, there are actually barricaded areas for corrals. When you sign up for the race, you are asked for your expected finish time. Your bib is color coded, and there are people at the entrance to each corral checking to make sure that you have the proper color on your bib to enter the corral. That's the way it *should* be....

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you have the best day ever out there and enjoyed every moment! :) I am so happy I saw you guys and you stopped by and said hello too :) You are the best and I love you and Dana, you are the power couple of tris and endurance events. :) ha ha that almost sounds dirty but i mean it in a clean way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. N, great race report and photo's. I felt like I was with you each step of the way. I laughed about your sore legs, I know what that feels like. By far you feel more sore after a marathon than an Ironman. I guess for the next few days you knew you did a marathon. Anyways, I'm rambling. Again, Great Job. And say high to Dana for me.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nina! I am so proud to be your friend! You ROCKED! What a great report, great race - well worth the 20 (+) minutes to read! I'm totally crying. I love you! Thank you thank you thank you for all you do....xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. dude! holy wow. i just read the mother of all race reports. fabulous detail and description. loved every word. congrats, marathoner. :))
    you rock my world!!!

    s

    ReplyDelete