Saturday, January 2, 2010

Transition: Non-blogger to blogger

I've always been a little behind the technology times. During my senior year of college, Apple introduced its first color computer and I still preferred to use the the original, tiny, black and white screen version. Something about those little machines was comforting. A few years later, when cell phones finally started to become mainstream, I held onto my pager. (I liked dialing numbers to it that spelled funny little words. Go figure that I'm a text-a-holic now).  Several years ago, my husband worked at DirecTv and brought home one of the first TiVo units. After a day, I made him take it back, citing that we didn't need to watch more TV. (Of course, now I am a devout TiVo follower.) I can proudly say I have avoided Facebook, though I'm sure that, too, will change. So, its really no surprise that years after the blogger-explosion, I am finally starting my own. Ok, that isn't entirely true...I did keep a blog during our 2008 California Coast Classic Ride. But writing a regular, daily basis, about the life-and-times-of-Nina type blog...well, this is new territory.


Why now? Why not. Its a new year. My husband and I are in the process of starting a new multi-sport career, including coaching services. He's training for his first Ironman. I plan to do my first marathon. Not to mention the many other things non-triathlon related in our lives (yes, we do have a life outside of Tri. I think.) I have a feeling its going to be a very, very interesting year. And hey, to be honest, it just seemed like there really aren't enough blogs out there already.

Which leads me to the title of this blog..."Triathlete in Transition". Sure, its a metaphor of sorts, based on an aspect of one of my favorite sports, Triathlon. A Transition in a triathlon is the time when you prepare to go onto the next sport of the race. But right now I'm a triathlete going thourgh a few different transitions that have nothing to do with racing. In fact, I think most people are constantly going through some kind of transition in their life...career, family, friends, home, athletics, diet, age...the list is endless. Since the multi-sport lifestyle and community has become such an important part of my own life these past few years, I hope to use what I have experienced and learned to help inspire, understand, motivate, and support all the transitions we go through in life everyday. Well, ok, that's a tall order for a newbie blogger like me. Maybe I'll just stick to jotting down some casual observations for now and hope to entertain you in the process a little. Kind of like training for a sprint distance triathlon first....the Ironman will come in due time.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nina
    Well done on starting your blog. I look forward reading about you and Dana's transitions during 2010.

    Awesome blog and layout as a "newbie" I can learn a lot from you, still struggling to get my layout the way I want it.

    Ciao
    Johan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the House-o-Blog!! You're life is so inspiring/exciting and it's going to be fun to read about all the adventures you and Dana take on.

    All the best!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo hoo!!!! welcome to blogland!! You'll love it!!!

    penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. its about time you shared your awesomeness with more people and in more than 140 characters. thanks for having us along for the ride. (run or swim too i guess).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your blog and training

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete